Monday, March 14, 2005

Hello Jill!

First of all, I want to thank Jill M for her very thoughtful and sincere email. Jill - if you are reading this, I wish you the best of luck in the rest of your burgeoning medical career. It seems like you are truly going into it for the right reasons, which many of us have lost sight of in the grueling process of residency. How many people spend their vacations volunteering in a foreign country to set up orphanages? You are truly a better person than me, and probably 99% of schmucks out there.

When counseling potential medical students, I generally discourage them and tell them to do something else with their life, unless they have a compelling story or heartfelt reason to be a physician. Jill - you would win over any medical school admission with your story - it was certainly better than mine, just out of high school at age 16 with zero experience in real life doing it because my daddy told me so. Lets face it, you don't know shit when you are 16. Now at 26 (sheesh i'm old), I look back and wonder what might of been if I wasn't in an accelerated medical program. Any regrets? Absolutely not - I believe I am good at what I do and so far very content with my life. I probably would of been a good engineer or pianist. I was not "destined" to be in medicine.

Jill - you might be 35 with 200k in debt with a child you did not see much growing up when all is said and done, but know that I support you!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home